I had read about Whole30 a while ago from Once a Month Cooking. Last month I stumbled upon on it again, did some research on it and sorta told my husband about it, and then announced at dinner we as a family were going to do Whole30 for 30 days starting August 2. (August 1st was my birthday.) We as a family had one week to get ready . So here are 10 things we have learned about our family just the first week of Whole30.
1. I had to cooked 3 meals a day for 7 days. The kids LOVE this. Most days breakfast was just cereal or Nutella on toast. And lunch was a frozen meal or a can meal. Yes I went all out. But on Whole30, I have to actually cook. And plan, which worked mostly ok.
2. With all that cooking came a LOAD of dirty dishes! I felt overwhelmed with the dishes this week. Just when I think we are finally getting caught up -I cook again!!
3. We got new white dishes. I bought white square dishes at Target. Mainly cause they were a little bit deeper,and held salads well. But we soon realized our food looks great on white!
4. We have shopped ALOT this week! We needed to get our meat. We did that mostly at Costco. We are not a 100% organic or grass feed-but close enough. This is a huge transition and it is not easy. I have been to the store 4 other times for other items-mostly veggies and fruits.
5. Our kids are on board for the most part. The biggest thing for them at first was no sugar and wheat. The second day there was cake at church and two of my three kids did well with no cake. Isaiah was sad and mad he could not have no cake. But he didn’t eat one. They drink water and eat what we give them. Isaiah has cheated….but we kinda expected that!
6. Eggs are our friend! You eat a lot of eggs. Good thing my kids LOVED eggs already! Boiled eggs are a great on the go food. It seems we have been through 9 dozen eggs the first week!!!
7. Fruit Salad-Yummy Yummy! Robby grew up with the Wiggles and we have been eating a LOT of fruit! Well not too much-but more than normal and I bought a far share of fruit. But now the kids like to make fruit salad-cause they like being involved in the cooking process! Which is a little hard for me cause I like to sometimes be alone in the kitchen.
8. We are eating at the dinning room table! – For a long time we ate at the kitchen table. Then only kids and the adults in the living room. Then I don’t know what happened when Whole30 started. We starting this week eating at the dinning room table. And the one day we were not, the kids were disappointed-so we did.
9. We are not eating out and no Starbucks! This is big for our family. Cause remember #1, one of the reasons why I didn’t cook all the time was cause we also ate out a lot! And I drank Starbucks a LOT. I am good with coffee black!
10. I am feeling better. First week was a rocky road. It was hard. Some days I felt like crap. I felt much better by day 7. I am seeing a difference in the kids and my husband! So we will pushed through the next three weeks and decided where we are going from there!
We can do this!!
Here are some of the dishes I cooked for my family!